Avoid dehydration during summer travel
You may face an increased risk of dehydration when traveling this summer for multiple reasons, including:
- Lack of humidity in a plane’s cabin air may also lead to dehydration during air travel for passengers, particularly during long-haul flights.
- Heavy sweating due to prolonged heat exposure – When you travel, you may visit hot and dry destinations where you are more likely to get hot…and SWEATY! Through sweat there is the loss of both fluid and electrolytes which can lead to dehydration.
- The most common health problem facing travelers to less developed countries is Traveler’s Diarrhea. According to the Center for Disease Control, Traveler's diarrhea – which is caused by exposure to contaminated water and foods – affects roughly 20-50% of travelers in high-risk locations. The World Health Organization identifies DEHYDRATION as the most severe threat posed by Traveler’s Diarrhea.
Luckily, most cases of Traveler’s Diarrhea last a day or two and resolve themselves. But it can disrupt any vacation. Here are a few tips to avoid the dreaded TD and maximize your vacation experience:
Tips to avoid Traveler’s Diarrhea
- Drink boiled or bottled water and avoid ice. Don’t forget this rule when brushing your teeth or enjoying a cup of coffee and tea.
- Avoid eating raw foods
- Boil it, cook it, peel it, or forget it!
- Wash your hands!
For all suffers, rehydration is the most important aspect of managing Traveler’s Diarrhea. So, if you’re headed overseas, don’t forget to pack an oral rehydration solution like DripDrop ORS in your travel bag. It is an effective and proven solution for dehydration, essentially a mixture of electrolytes that are added to water, that easily fits in your carry on. DripDrop ORS is designed to help you:
- Rehydrate faster than plain water
- Replenish electrolytes and fluids lost during an episode of travelers’ diarrhea
- Begin treatment immediately, as soon as symptoms arise
Don’t forget to pack DripDrop ORS this summer – and defeat dehydration wherever you are in the world!